UCSF University of California, San Francisco     School of Medicine     Medical Center     Search  
Volunteer Clinical  Faculty Resource Center
Frequently Asked Questions
Appointment Requirements
Teaching Opportunities
Contact Us
User Name:

* If you have lost your password, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I apply for promotion?
Refer to Appointments & Promotions for criteria for advancement. If you have met the requirements for promotion, and you have discussed your promotion with your division chief or course director contact Stephen.Gordon@ucsf.edu. Attach your current curriculum vitae. The VCF Administrator will write to your division chief or course director for a letter of recommendation and then send you the required promotion paperwork.

I have a secondary appointment in another department. Do I have to meet the teaching requirements for each department or are they combined?
You need to teach at least 50 hours per year for each department.

I cannot teach this year. What should I do?
Volunteer clinical faculty may request up to a maximum of two years leave of absence from teaching. Contact the VCF Administrator by email and request a leave of absence. You will have to specify the reason for the leave, tell us for how long and let us know when you plan to resume teaching.

I plan to retire from practice and will not be teaching. What should I do?
Please notify in writing:

Gordon L. Fung, MD, MPH, PhD
Director of Clinical Faculty Affairs
Department of Medicine, UCSF
3333 California Street, Suite 430
San Francisco, CA 94143-1211

How do I apply for parking at UCSF?
The C parking permit is reserved for volunteer clinical faculty who teach on the Parnassus campus. For an application contact (415) 514-3211. Paying the parking fee is the responsibility of the individual. Some divisions may have funds to pay for parking (contact your division administrator).

How do I apply for library privileges?
A UCSF Library Borrower Account is required to check out circulating materials. You may register your UCSF ID card in person at the Service Desk or by phone (415) 476-2336. For more information, see the Library's website. For off-campus access to UCSF Library resources, valid MyAccess credentials is required. For more information see the Library's website.

How do I apply for medical staff privileges?
Medical staff privileges are required for all faculty who see patients and teach at any UCSF facility. Contact your division administrator for an application.

How do I get an invitation to attend the Advances in Internal Medicine CME course?
Each year a list of volunteer clinical faculty is submitted to the School of Medicine Continuing Medical Education office. You should receive an invitation in March. If you do not receive an invitation by early April, contact (415) 514-3211.

Home | Divisions | Administration | Education | Ways to Give | Site Map | Webmaster
Copyright 2005, The Regents of University of California. All rights reserved.